Whew! The first week flew by so fast.
Is the excitement still burning? Did you have goals when we started and how are you fairing so far?
As soon as I decided to join in the fun last Friday, the days that followed were all about what I want to achieve and learn. I already know what look and style I want, its just a matter of how I would be able to get there.
Just a recap of my first week, apart from the first day’s entry of my left hand, I made three nebulas, something I love to do, then there was my Sunday play with the blowing technique and then my never ending love of anything weird and creepy then the result of a great conversation and the most liked rose bud and the experiment with a black and white photo and lastly, the first challenge of the only watercolor book I have. I had a terrific time! 😀
For the second week, I decided to concentrate on food illustrations. The plan had been sitting in my to do list for a long time and if not now, when?
So, for day 9….here is one of my favorite cake
I am still using 5 x 7 canson 200gsm paper and a pan set of winsor and newton and a holbein in mineral violet.
So far I have learned…
- to be patient – washes had to be dry before adding in another layer. learned this the hard way because i was so stubborn and very very impatient. now i am getting the hang of it….only air dry not use of a hair dryer or heat gun
- to let loose of being perfect all the time – discovered that with watercolors, i can enjoy the mix of pigment and water and be a witness of the dance they make on paper….totally awesome
- that i can tilt paper and help water and pigment move – i know, i only i did my homework then i have learned this simple thing a long time ago…yes, never too late to learn something new
- definitely invest in good quality paper – that is in the bag of things to buy but not as of now
- with good quality paper is a set of artist grade colors – i have both student grade and artist grade and there really is a huge difference. in my first entry i used a simbalion student grade watercolor pan set and the succeeding paintings other than for day three where i used dr. ph martin hydrus watercolor, i use my winsor and newton pan set. i know, these maybe only practice pieces but i will not be best friends with my colors if i will just store them for bigger pieces.
- a good brush helps a lot – this is a personal choice and yes, lets use whatever works for us. as for me, i am totally in love with my escoda optimo #6, rembrandt round 0, and silver ultra mini spotter 20/0
- to give time for practice – i give myself 2-6 hours of art time everyday. i start from the easiest one (self love because its only a 1in x 1in square in my planner/journal) and last would be my world watercolor month pieces
- to be kind to myself and be be my own cheerer – i used to be my number one critic….seeing all the bad and not so good in an art i did, but i am slowly giving myself a pat on the back whenever i show up and try to create something. validate myself is always on top of mind after every art session. who else will believe me other than myself.
- to stay patient – learning something new is easy but learning the technicalities that comes with it is the difficult part. the journey is slow, long and very rocky but i signed up for this and that means no complaining. 🙂
Have a great weekend dear friends! Keep the fire burning!