Today as I sat down at my art corner and I contemplated on doing something or not doing anything artsy at all, I decided to open the music player and get inspiration any music that will strike an artsy page. The first music that came out was a Swing Out Sisters rendition of The Windmills of Your Mind. As I listened, an idea of a simple mixed media page came to mind.
- white gesso
- acrylic paints
- gelli plate
- time clock cards
- circle ruler
- palette knife
- archival ink – black
- derwent intense pencil fuchsia 0700
- staedtler triplus liner – lime green
- sharpie fine tip permanent marker – red and blue
- Apply white gesso onto one side of art journal (I used the right side of my journal) using a palette knife for instant texture. Let dry and set aside.
- Using a gelli plate apply choice of acrylic paints (I used craft smart in bright red, apple barrel in sublime lime and bleu bahamas), use a brayer to spread the paints and instead of turning the plate over onto a paper, I put time clock cards on top of the plate, used mg hands to press lightly and peeled off my time cards. Let dry.
- When time clock cards are dry, use a circle ruler to trace different circle sizes and cut them out with a scissor. Set aside.
- Use the same bright red acrylic paint, put a few drops onto the middle part of the journal and use a brayer to spread the paint leaving the four sides of the page paint free. Let dry.
- Once the page was dry I added layers by writing over the entire page using graphite and used two stamps to add more layers.
- Layout the cut circles around the page and when satisfied of their placement, I glued each one with craft glue.
- Add another layer over the entire page using a brush dip in white acrylic paint. I tap my brush with the paint with another paint brush.
- To make the circles pop, I used derwent inktense pencil in fuchsia and activated it with a water brush. Derwent inktense pencils are a great way to substitute for a stabilo all pencil.
- I borrowed a phrase from the song and wrote them into the remaining paper from the time clock cards using staedtler triplus liner in lime green.
- Added a few dots onto the circles with sharpie fine tip permanent marker.
- Date stamped placed on the left side of the page.
I hope you enjoyed my process as I have had a pleasant time doing it. Just in case you would make a similar page and follow my steps, please don’t forget to link me so I can delight in the page you will come up with.
Happy weekend everyone!